Wednesday 4 November 2009

Barcelona Day 1 - Pickpocket Hell

Barcelona Day 1. When I say Day 1, I mean, we landed in Girona at 9pm, so...Day 1 really consists of 21:00-00:00, and yet, such a lot can happen in such a small space of time.

Everyone knows the sensible advice that's given out whenever you go away, make sure your stuff is insured, keep your money in a few different places, not in one wadge together, take some travellers checks and make a note of the numbers, photocopy your passport and keep the copies separately. Etc etc etc. I've been looking at all this advice seriously in terms of the 3 months I'll be in South East Asia next year, but when it came to a week in Barcelona with my sister it all got forgotten.

I'm not sure why this may be, complacency? An ingrained sense of 'nice white Europeans wouldn't really steal from me' that I didn't even know I had? Laziness? Stupidity? A misplaced assumption that just because you'd zipped your bag shut no one would be able to steal from it? Nicki and I were also damned tired and grumpy from travelling all day.

The bloody annoying thing is that we were warned constantly before we left, by people who had been to Barcelona and knew what the place was like. To the point where we were left wondering why people seemed to be being so negative about the place.

Cut to Nicki and I on the Metro. We were knackered having arrived at the airport assuming that because we had flown into Girona airport, that there would be a transfer. There wasn't, and so we'd been on bus, train and were now on the Metro headed for a station that we thought might be near the apartments.

A group of about 6 teenagers get on, I guess they were about 16. They stood behind Nicki and were jostling about a bit in the boisterous way that slightly drunken teenagers do. One stop from ours Nicki looked down and realised her bag was open, and when she looked inside her travel wallet was missing.

This was the travel wallet which contained....wait for it:

-BOTH our passports

-BOTH our money which was due to pay for our accomodation

-Paperwork containing the number and address of our accomodation....you'd be correct in thinking we hadn't written those details down elsewhere....we're WELL clever like that!!

We've never been pickpocketed before and in that initial panic we lost all sense of reason and jumped off the Metro at our stop. Only then did we realise it must have been those bastard kids..no one else had got close enough since the last time Nicki had seen it to have taken it. She was wearing the bag the whole time and it had been zipped shut, but it had been like taking candy from a baby.

It was a bloody shock, but it had happened and we had to deal with it. We found a hotel with an internet connection we could use to find the phone number of the accomodation, got a taxi with the little money I had in my purse, and went to bed hoping all would look brighter in the morning.

Over the following days we sorted out the mess by spending an hour in a police station filing a report, contacting the consulate to organise appointments to collect emergency passports at €79 each, spending a couple of hours faffing around at and around the consulate whilst waiting for the passports to be processed. We also spent far too much time at an internet cafĂ© photocopying, faxing and looking for details of various people/places in the internet.

In the end everything turned out ok and we managed to get home on the flights we had booked, but the whole thing was a massive waste of time and money. However! We learned some valuable lessons!

-Keep EVERYTHING separate!

-Never buy a travel wallet unless you plan to strap it to the inside of your thigh like a hooker in a Western movie.

-Spanish police people are very friendly

-Keep your bastard bag in front of you and secure at ALL times!

I'm VERY glad I learned these valuable lessons whilst with my sister in Europe...rather than by myself in Siem Reap next year.

Despite the horrideness of this first experience of Barcelona, we did go on to have a lovely time and I will also blog about that I promise! It's up and coming ladies and genst, I have some lovely pictures (mostly of beer) for you to peruse :).

Love love x

3 comments:

  1. Aw, poor you. I feel bad for you, losing all that on your first evening in fabulous Barcelona. Don't feel bad, though. It happens to tons of people, in so many creative ways. Have you heard of the pigeon-poop-perp? The swift swiper? Ladies with cardboard? It's all right here: http://bobarno.com/thiefhunters/2008/05/barcelona-street-crime-today/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about the Tea-leaves love.

    Still - sounds like you got into the spirit of Barcelona and did well not to let it spoil your trip.

    Fank you so much for my baby Gaudi 'izard. Too cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. thiefhunter - I wish I'd known about this blog before I went lol! I didn't come across any of those scams, but as you can imagine, my sister and I were very much on our guard after that first night!

    Jobie - no problems dahling, he is very cute cute isn't he!! :o)

    ReplyDelete