Tuesday 8 June 2010

Creepy Crawly Bastards

Happier posts izzit? Well I'm still in paradise, Senggigi is beautiful, but paradise comes with its fun and games, the Gilis came with sand in the bed, and Senggigi has come with beg bugs. Nasty bitey little bedbugs.

I noticed the bites on my left arm this morning at breakfast. At first I cursed the mossies, but then I noticed just how many there were. I just counted and there are at least 34 trailing up my left arm.

So then I checked out my right, not so bad....only 20.

Then I checked myself over in the mirror after my shower....deary me. I have nice little nom trails all over my back and stomach. My legs SEEM to have been mercifully ignored, but maybe that's because there are too many existing mossie bites for them to find any space, plus I haven't really had good enough light to examine them properly yet. I'm sure my arse must resemble the surface of the moon.

Needless to say I checked out this morning and into a new, slightly more upmarket place. I've put almost everything I own in the laundry and had a nice scrub in the shower, feeling much much better now!!!

Apart from that I've had a lovely couple of days in Senggigi with Mul (Sometimes.....finally got his name) coming from the Gilis every day to show me around. Yesterday we had lunch at Kuta beach in the south of the island. It's totally deserted at this time of year, and yet come July and August it will be humming....what a difference a month makes. It's beautiful down there and the sand on the beach was cool, huge grains, so you sunk into it every time you tried to walk.

There was a stretch of rocks to the right and I saw a guy standing right at the end. At first I thought he might be fishing, but he kept getting up and down, when I asked it turned out he was praying, Muslims pray 5 times a day. What a lovely setting to be able to do it in. One thing I've noticed since getting to Indonesia is the regular calls to prayer from the mosques, I'm not sure I've ever heard it in the UK. It's just started as I type actually. It must be interesting for the conservative locals to be living in places like the Gilis where the westerners are all parading around in bikinis and speedos (uck). I saw one local girl wading out of the water with a full hajib (spelling?) on underneath her scuba gear.

Well, I'm off to tiger balm myself and chill out on my last day in Lombok before heading to Bali and Java over the next couple of days. Only 9 days left in Indonesia, 16 days left of my travelling.....*weep*.

See you all soon, big love xxx

1 comment:

  1. Glad your feeling better, getting back into the swing of things. Enjoy your last 9 days before you get to Aussie which I assume will be a whole different game.

    ReplyDelete