Saturday 29 May 2010

Gili..........let me count the ways....


Ok......so....Kep was beautiful, it really was. But now I've seen true paradise. I'm on the Gili islands off of Lombok in Indonesia.


My plan (loose as it was), was to go straight to Lombok, though I was having second thoughts after a German girl I met in Denpasar told me about an experience she had at Bangsal harbour with ticket touts...overly enthusiastic and slightly aggressive, but I was convinced otherwise by a lovely dude I met in Padangbai. There are very few tourists around strangely enough and we decided to head to the Gili's together..I'll hit Lombok on the way home. His name is Silver and he's from Estonia.


So yesterday we headed off on the bus, boat, bus and boat trip to Gili Air. It took 9 long long hours to get here, and we finally crossed from Lombok to Gili Air as the sun was setting. We'd met a guy called Sometimes (one suspects he may have taken this name on purely for tourist purposes) at Bangsal and had asked him where was a good place to stay. Of course...he said he'd take us to where he lives....hearts sunk....what will this place be like? But we'd asked him, not the other way round, so we took our chances.

The place has turned out to be beautiful. Beachside huts and a good restaurant and bar, we chilled out last night, and today took a walk around the cost, which ended up taking 4 or 5 hours....but only because we stopped for a beer, then a swim, then lunch...then another beer. Time has no meaning seeing as I left my watch in Bali by accident and Silver doesn't have one!!

Tomorrow is time for snorkelling, and the day after we're off to Gili Meno.

People...if there's one place you have to visit in your lifetimes...make it this. Just watch out for the coral beaches.....OUCH!!!


A crabby hermit crab I met on the beach

1 comment:

  1. amazing pics. the views seem to get better and better as you go on. we have had a whole day of rain, here, which makes your pictures seem even more inviting. Nan loved her mention in your blog and whishes you well. love mum and dad xxxxx

    ReplyDelete