Friday 16 April 2010

Baby when the lights...go out

Something unprecedented happened in Luang Prabang yesterday. It rained in April.

You could tell from the morning that it was grey and overcast. Then at about 2ish the wind set in. I was eating and chatting with a girl called Lenny from Norway, and she said 'this is what it was like in Indonesia before the rain hit'.

We decided to see if we could get back to our hostels before it hit, but on the way we passed a mad Lao family who were having some kind of New Year beer celebration outside their shop and we were dragged in to join the festivities. Sure enough, soon the heavens opened. We were stuck, they kept pouring us more and more beer and there was no way we could go out in that torrential downpour.

Or could we?

Sod it, after a few minutes we dumped our bags in the shop and ran out into the middle of the rain, dancing with everyone else. It only took about 2 seconds flat to get completely soaked.

Then the electricity went off....the music stopped and all the lights went out, pretty much calling an end to the party. We wandered home to get showers and then meet up later for dinner but when I got back there was no water because of the eipc waterfights...and even if there had been, I couldn't see what the hell I was doing. The electricity had gone out at the hostel to.

So in the end, I spent the evening drinking beer by candlelight with most of the other people back at the lodge.

Tis a hard life...but someone has to do it!

Today I'm off to lunch at Tamarind which has had rave reviews from some of the people I've spoken to here. They also do cooking classes, so if that's not too expensive I'll book one for tomorrow and take lots of lovely piccies for you guys.

4 comments:

  1. Funny, we get plenty of the liquid falling out of the sky, but nobody goes out dancing in it, wierd. Still enjoying yourself, I see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. a good time was had by all i see. Good to see you are well and enjoying yourself. Nan home from hospital. Dad read her your blog of the new year water fights, over the phone and she had a little cry, she is so pleased you are enjoying yourself and sends her love. keep well love mum and dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wilf - yes, dancing in the rain was unusual! Enjoying myself muchly.

    Mum - aw...that made me have a little cry, send her my love, and her address, I'll send her a postcard and hope it gets there before I get back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. so much fun you has. *smiles* *sighs* *goes and makes a cup of tea*

    ReplyDelete