Tuesday 6 April 2010

Breathe Becki....Breathe

I would if it wasn't so stifling HOT!

No matter how many times someone warns you how warm it will be, you're not prepared. Turns out I'm a sweater....shiny, sexy, oh yeah baby...oh yeah.

I'll be honest, I'm using my 2 days in Bangkok to essentially acclimatise myself to the 'culture' here. The reason I say 'culture' rather than culture is because I'm not referring to the gorgeous temples, architechture, palaces etc etc, I'm talking about the fact that everyone here seem to be after parting you from your money.

In my short time in Bangkok I've fallen for the 2 main tuk tuk scams, the ubiquitous overcharging, which isn't SO bad as it's still cheap by our standards. I didn't mind paying a bit more as it was my first trip and quite fun. The driver had pictures and stickers up all over the inside roof of his tuk tuk (I do have pictures and will get them up as soon the brain fug clears and I know what I'm doing). Then there's the less fun tuk tuk scam, the 'I'll take you to see the Standing Buddha and the lucky buddha....and then 4 of my mates shops...ok? I get free gas'. I didn't waste much money, but it's 2 hours of my trip stolen from me that I can't get back....and I HATE salesmen at the best of times. I tried as hard as I could not to get angry, it's the worst thing you can do, but I looked sufficiently pissed off by the end that he didn't try and charge me his fee :D

I'm looking at it as an education though...I won't fall for those tricks again! And what I have to be very careful of is not letting it sour me. I've spent the last couple of days in lethargy, getting used to the weather and being constantly sweaty, headache from an epic caffeine comedown (just remedied that with a cup of tea and can of coke), disorientation....and on top of it these guys are swindling me. Ag! I also have a touch of the jetlag, it's amazing what travel and time difference can do to you!

I was so tired last night that I went to bed at around 8:30ish,roughly arranged a mossie net around myself (to the least effect possible I'm sure!!) and drifted off under the fan. When I woke up it was about 10:30am and I thought....shite! Jumped up and into the shower. Whilst my brain was busy processing whatever it was processing I didn't notice that it was dark outside. When I DID notice it was dark outside, all I thought was 'oh, they don't tell you it's still dark at 11am in the morning in all the books'. In fact, I was out of the guesthouse and halfway down the road before it struck me.....maybe it was 11:30 in the evening...not the morning.

Just maybe....

I still wasn't convinced and actually sat in my bed reading for a while to see whether it got any lighter.

What a penis.

Whilst I'm orientating myself I'm mostly hiding out in my guesthouse the Shanti Lodge, which does wonderful food (thanks Fabrice) and is just a short walk from Khao San Road if you know where you're going. Thank gawd for Shanti Lodge. The only problem I've found is that because it's out of the way and quiet (and possibly because it's not 'in season', I've not met many people yet, they're mostly couples.

One thing I am DETERMINED to achieve whilst I'm here is visiting the Blues Bar and Jok cafe that Dave recommended to me, I can't let the whole 2 days in Bangkok pass in a lethargic blur. I'm doing that tonight.

I'm sorry to say that I probably won't see any of the great things that Bangkok has to offer, seeing as I'm leaving for Chiang Mai tomorrow on the train (A/C thank gawd), but it was never one of the places I was really looking forward to anyway, roll on the rest of SE Asia. I'm looking forward to Chiang Mai, as the cultural capital I suspect it has more soul, and by all accounts it's cooler too! That HAS to be made of win. Also, staying in dorms, it'll be hard to avoid meeting people.

Goodbye Bankok, and thanks for the education....moving on....to better, happier blog posts with pictures!!

Tarrah for now everyboday xxx

The thing I'll remember most about Bangkok: Bright pink taxicabs!!

6 comments:

  1. At long last, you have arrived!! All that planning has now come to fruition. Gurl, more hot to come, 40C is the recorded high. At least, for the moment you have, according to the local forecast, some cloud cover, not that it helps much, just makes it steamy, 8-)>. In this very short time span and apart from the weather, is it what you thought it would be? Look at the very bright side, all that lovely food. Have a great time gurl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. glad your flight was ok, and food not too bad.
    take care with the heat, try to keep cool, and keep away from those money grabbers.keep safe and well luv mum

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wilf - I'ma getting out of Bangkok today,looking forward to the (relative) cool of Chiang Mai. I haven't really gotten into it yet, and I'm not sure it's sunk in that I'll be doing this for 3 months! I've already realised that I may have to alter parts of my trip to stay in places for a bit longer than anticipated...constant travel really does take it outa you!

    Mummeh - Bloody money grabbers...at least no one has actually tried to steal it so far...touch wood!! It's so hot, I'm showering 4 times a day! big loves xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh dear, poor you. I hated Bankers for exactly the same reasons. And, yes, I'd read all about the scams but somehow the combination of the sun and the jet lag paralyses the brain and removes all common sense... And it sounds like the scams haven't changed one bit in six years!

    Chiang Mai is much nicer, although even there you'll soon develop a firm reflex response to anyone approaching in a tuk-tuk! Do go and eat at The Wok, which is excellent, but avoid (elsewhere) northern Thai endlessly reheated pork stews with unidentified dried up stuff sprinkled over the top.. bacteria city!

    Wat Doi Suthep up in the hills is definitely a "don't miss". In any of the Wats the young monks will be happy to chat for ages to practice their English, and won't ask for money, but there will also be the other people who will try to get chatting and then offer to take you on a tour... Basically anyone in a monastery wrapped in orange is safe to talk to, otherwise avoid! And have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! You arrived safe and sound. Oh god you got suckered in by the tuk tuk drivers!!! God I hate them! - I was filled with rage every time I had one of them try and rip me off, though "rough guide" well warned me about them and there tiresome behaviour so fortunately I didn't get taken the "scenic route" every time I wanted to go anywhere - I got real familiar with the buses in Bangkok.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm planning on seeing Doi Suthep tomorrow Matthew, looking forward to it :)

    Yes, the tuk tuks are a frigging nightmare, though much less in your face than in Bangkok. In Bangkok they'll almost grab you, in Chiang Mai they just toot and maybe shout at you, but if you don't play ball they leave you alone pretty sharpish.

    Sophia, consider yourself lucky lolz, it was the shittiest thing EVER!! :D

    ReplyDelete